Friday, July 23, 2010

EMMDEV 2010-07-23 [Seven Laws of Spiritual Success] Soulcare: BagPipe Heart

This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says:
"In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength,
but you would have none of it.
16 You said, `No, we will flee on horses.'
Therefore you will flee!
You said, `We will ride off on swift horses.'
Therefore your pursuers will be swift! Isaiah30:15-16
A valued friend responded to my eDev yesterday...
Picking up on Henry Drummond's quote of the heart being an elastic chamber that expands with God in it or shrinks without Him, my friend suggested that we have the choice between being vuvuzelas or bagpipes. The key difference is not in the mono-tone of the one compared to the variety of the other, but in the bag, which, when filled, allows the piper to play a much longer note than the human lung can blow the vuvu!
Isaiah records God's Word to those who think they can keep going in their own strength. The bottom line? In the Rat Race the rats win.
In repentance, rest, quietness and trust is salvation and strength.
Soul-care means we fill the "sak" (bag) of the "doedel" (tune or ditty) (Sorry, I just think the Afrikaans "doedelsak" is so onomatopoeic) with the breath of God.
The old hymn says it best:
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.
(Edwin Hatch 1878)
Have a "doedel" weekend!
---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/