Wednesday, March 16, 2011

EMMDEV 2011-03-16 [Moses Meditations] Hardened Heart

3 But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt, 4 he will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites. 5 And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it." Exodus7:3-5

This is a difficult subject. Does God make people's hearts hard? People are often offended at the idea that God hardened Pharaoh's heart so that the Israelites and Egyptians would see His glory. Was that fair to Pharaoh and his people?

We have to put it more precisely:
"Does God turn innocent people into evil people?"
or "Does God give evil people enough rope to hang themselves?"

How _does_ God harden Pharaoh's heart?
With repeated appeals and miracles (the plagues) to do the right thing!
Pharaoh said "NO!" ten times!
He had ten momentous opportunities to do the right thing.
He had ten encounters where it was clear that God was at work.
He was given ten clear signs of God's power yet he did not listen.

In the calling of Isaiah we see a similar construct:
God tells Isaiah "Go and tell this people:
" `Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
be ever seeing, but never perceiving.'
Make the heart of this people calloused;
make their ears dull and close their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears, understand with their hearts,
and turn and be healed." (Isaiah 6:9-10)

How does Isaiah carry out his calling?
By repeatedly calling the people to repent and return,
by warning them of the coming judgement if they do not repent
and by painting the most incredible pictures of the coming Messiah.

How does God harden hearts? By giving people so many opportunities to repent that when they refuse to, they only have themselves to blame.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/