Wednesday, May 9, 2012

EMMDEV 2012-05-09 [Forty Days of Resurrection] 04.Comforting Peter

They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together 34 and saying, "It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon. Luke24:33-34

When the two on the road to Emmaus rushed back to Jerusalem with the account of their journey with the Risen Lord, they would also get some news: "The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon."

This is one sentence is a very tantalising piece of information because we have no idea of what may have happened in that encounter, as there is no additional data anywhere else in Scripture. We have to try an imagine what may have happened.

I think Don Fransisco puts it best in his song "He's Alive."

Back inside the house again
The guilt and anguish came
Everything I'd promised Him
Just added to my shame
When at last it came to choices
I denied I knew His name
And even if He was alive
It wouldn't be the same

But suddenly the air was filled
With a strange and sweet perfume
Light that came from everywhere
Drove the shadows from the room
And Jesus stood before me
With his arms held open wide
And I fell down on my knees
And I just clung to Him and cried

Then He raised me to my feet
And as I looked into His eyes
The love was shining out from Him
Like sunlight from the skies
Guilt in my confusion
Disappeared in sweet release
And every fear I'd ever had
Just melted into peace

He's alive yes He's alive
Yes He's alive and I'm forgiven
Heaven's gates are open wide
He's alive yes He's alive
Oh He's alive and I'm forgiven
Heaven's gates are open wide
He's alive yes He's alive
HALLELUJAH!

(You can watch it on You Tube if you have the bandwidth - it is a beautiful recording with an introduction by Don Fransisco and a full orchestra and huge choir doing backing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIndrry40Ks )


---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/