Thursday, November 28, 2013

EMMDEV Snippets from Psalms

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin." (Psalm 51:1-2)

Two days ago – when we looked at Psalm 91, I mentioned Psalm 51 as the well-known penitent psalm. Some believe this psalm to be the most quoted in liturgies, especially in calls to repentance or in times of confession. The psalm is attributed to King David after he sinned by committing adultery with Bathsheba and murdering her husband to cover up his deed. David is confronted by the prophet Nathan who brings a strong message from God about the sin he has fallen into – and it is at this moment that David turns to God, admits his fault and confesses his sin – begging God to not cast him away or take his Spirit away from him.

The scope of the psalm however is broader than the confession of one sin. David recognises that sinfulness is a condition rather than an act. "I am sinful" as opposed to "I do sinful things." What is so powerful here though is this change in tone from other psalms we have seen. The common thread in many of the psalms is the idea of difficulty – and an appeal to God to change the situation so we may praise Him. Here the cry is; "Change me – I am the problem!!"

It's sometimes easier to see the good in ourselves rather than the ugly. We don't really want to analyse too deeply the motivations for our actions, and the reasons for our thoughts. How good or bad we feel about ourselves is often as a result of a comparison – "well I'm better than those people" or "I wish I could be as good as him…"

But the truth is we are all in the same boat. Standing before the cross none of us are innocent, none of us are worthy, none of us have the right.
But all of us are welcome. All of us are loved. All of us are offered free grace.

The focus of the psalmist, while lamenting his sins, is on a God who is rich in mercy. Our two verses today speak of the Lord's unfailing love and great compassion. And so we come to God with our sinfulness, our brokenness and our failures and are not met with a man wielding a big stick. We are not met with a cold shoulder and silent treatment. We don't even get the look and the unbelieving "I can't believe you did that AGAIN."

Rather we are met with the open arms of a Father welcoming his wayward child home. We are met with love and forgiveness and an opportunity to be welcomed into fellowship with Him once again.

So stand before the cross
Pray the prayer
Receive the forgiveness
And rejoice in the love and grace that was won for us with blood and nails, with death and resurrection.


Sent from my BlackBerry®