Friday, April 11, 2014

EMMDEV 2014-04-11 [Lent2014] 8. Bruised Reeds

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold,
my chosen one in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him
and he will bring justice to the nations.
2 He will not shout or cry out,
or raise his voice in the streets.
3 A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.
In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;
4 he will not falter or be discouraged
till he establishes justice on earth.
In his law the islands will put their hope." Isaiah42:1-4

The New Testament affirms the fulfilment of this prophecy in Matthew chapter 12 where Jesus is described as healing and delivering those who were demon-possessed and sick. It affirms that Jesus had not come to lead a political revolution (He wasn't raising His voice in the streets) but He was leading a revolution of the heart.

He did not come to judge or condemn but to heal bruised reeds and fan smouldering wicks back into flame.

My favourite story that illustrates this point is the one about the woman caught in adultery. She was a victim twice over: In the patriarchial society she lived in, an influential man could easily force his wishes on her and the absence of the man at the `trial` before Jesus tends to confirm that this was the case. She had been reduced to being `bait` in the Pharisee `trap.` The way Jesus handles the situation is a beautiful illustration of the Servant of the Lord who does not break bruised reeds. When He has driven away those who have no right to condemn, He does not use His right to condemn. He gives her a new start: `Go and sin no more.`

Like that woman I am `damaged goods.` I have sinned, been sinned against, and find myself sin-broken. I have fallen short of all that God designed me to have and be and I find myself bruised and smouldering.

The servant of the Lord came to establish justice: He dealt with my sin, my being-sinned-against, and my sin-brokeness. He did it on the cross. Then He sent His Holy Spirit to dwell in me, so that my bruises could be healed and my smouldering become a flame.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/