Friday, November 14, 2014

EMMDEV 2014-11-14 [Apostle's Creed] Believe (#3) Certainty...

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for. Hebrews11:1-2

(I've re-used an old dev - I can't say it better)

The language of faith is never the certainty of the laboratory litmus-test or the court-room's "beyond reasonable doubt."

The language of faith is hope, trust and imagination.

You're probably are worried about me using the word "imagination"...
I don't mean imaginary (as in "not real") - I'm thinking of the high jumper who imagines themselves sailing over the bar even before they take the run up. I'm thinking of the bride-to-be imagining the wedding.

It's imagination that anticipates a certain future.

The language of faith is trust and relationship.
It's believing when we can't see.
It's trusting when the numbers are too complicated for us to add up.

Faith is about realising that I am not and cannot be ultimately in control, but that the universe is in the good hands of a God we can know.

Faith is not about knowing or controlling the future, but about knowing the One who does.

We live in a "I'll believe it when I see it" world.
But faith calls us to recognise that we can't see it all.
We are not god.
But we can know, trust and hope in the One who is...

This is what it means when we start the Creed with "I believe."

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/