Friday, August 14, 2015

EmmDev 2015-08-14 [John's Portraits of Christ] 21. Restorer of the Penitent.

21. Restorer of the Penitent.

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love (agape) me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love (phileo) you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love (agape) me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love (phileo) you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love (phileo) me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love (phileo) me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love (phileo) you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.      (John21:15-17)
Peter had failed - horribly.
We know that Jesus appeared to Peter individually on Resurrection Sunday. Luke tells us about this:
They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together 34 and saying, "It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon." 35 Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread. (Lk.24:33-35)

I recommend that you listen to Don Fransisco's incredibly powerful retelling of this story - "He's Alive" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO-7gehGYII (My dev is late because I've been listening to multiple versions of this song by various singers and swallowing huge big lumps in the throat!!!)

So now, a couple of days after that initial encounter on Resurrection Sunday, Jesus once again spends time with Peter. It seems that although Jesus had specially met with Peter, (and we can only assume He pronounced forgiveness and peace to Peter) the time had come for Jesus to reinforce Peter's forgiveness and restoration.

We've all heard a sermon on the different Greek love words that Peter and Jesus use. Twice Jesus uses "agape" and Peter answers "phileo" and so the last time Jesus uses "phileo". Commentators debate and warn us not to be too dogmatic about it, but at the very least, we would have to say that "agape" seems to be a higher and more pure form of love than "phileo" which seems second prize to "agape".

Jesus comes to restore Peter, to reinstate him, to heal him of the self-imposed exile he has placed himself on. "If you love me - even if your love is imperfect - feed my lambs, take care of my sheep, and feed my sheep."

This is what Jesus came to do. To restore us and make us new. We're not perfect yet, but we're doing His work.

I can think of no more beautiful way to end John's gospel.
---------------------------------------------------
That brings us to the end of this series on John's Gospel.
Please take a moment to share what the series has meant to you.
What have you learnt about Jesus? I'll summarise and send it out at the end of next week. Below I've included the picture from the Thompson's Chain Reference Bible that inspired this series .
Remember you can go to http://emmdev.blogspot.com/ to see past devs.
The EMMDEVs will take a break next week and re-start on the 27th.
Please send me suggestions for the next series.
God bless and Love,
Theo