Thursday, October 15, 2015

EmmDev 2015-10-15 [Month of Mission 2015] The right motive...

The right motive...

16 Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it      (1Corinthians9:16-18)
Great affordable mission work.

A certain Pastor brought a report to his Church council on the growth and progress in the three newly planted outstations. In the first one, there was growth in numbers from 10 to 30 meeting regularly for worship and Bible studies. In another, which was next to a University compus, there was growth in numbers but it needed regular pastoral care and support. In the third outstation, the growth in membership was great because of the children's ministry work which was in progress. These three stations were on average 40 kms from the main congregation and about 30kms from each other.

One of the Church council members raised a concern after the Pastor's report. How can we balance the two things which are: the zeal for mission work and the ability to keep the mission work less burdensome to the church?

The Apostle Paul (who wrote our text for the day) was one of the great missionaries and church planters who managed the two well... So often financial issues ("Can we afford it?") hinder mission work. He did not allow unnecessary hindrances to the preaching of the Gospel.

Prayer note:
Lord, help us to make and new ways of doing great mission work without being a burden to your Church.
Amen
----------------------------------------------------------------
Matorofa Mutonganavo is an ordained minister of word and sacraments. He is currently serving as Chaplain of Gloag Mission Schools in Zimbabwe. He loves reading, peace and working with own hands.