Thursday, July 19, 2018

EmmDev 2018-07-19 [Faith among grasshopper hearts] Jericho - Would you have shouted?


Jericho - Would you have shouted?

When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, have all the people give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the people will go up, every man straight in."
      (Joshua6:5)
So the Israelites walked around the city once a day for six days... We know that Jericho was "tightly shut up" for fear of the Israelites. I imagine that on day one the inhabitants of the city would have been as quiet as the Israelites. After all, they'd heard about the Egyptians and the Red Sea and how God provided for the Israelites in the wilderness. They had reason to be afraid - very afraid...

But here's what I imagine happened... On day 1 there were no fireworks but you could probably have heard a pin drop. The same on day 2. And on day 3, but now the spectators are fidgety and whispering. Still nothing on day 4. And so I imagine on day 4 or 5 someone on the walls of Jericho shouted down "Is that all you've got?" And then the deluge of trash-talking and derision would begin. "Is your strategy to put us to sleep?"

The Israelites would have had to clench their jaws to stay silent. And so day 4, day 5, day 6. All the Israelites had was sheer obedience. "Can't we attack now?" "What are we waiting for?" But they waited. Day 7 was different. It would have impacted everyone. The Jericho residents would have been on top form, maybe even a bit bored. "Here they come again, ho-hum." But the minute they started the second circuit, there would be a stir in the city and people would rush to the walls to look. But but the fourth of fifth circuit boredom would set in and the mocking would begin again.

Now, if you were an Israelite, and if you had just completed the seventh circuit and the people of Jericho are standing on the wall jeering and mocking, and you heard the ram's horns, would you shout?

Would you shout tentatively? Would you wait for others to start shouting first? Or would you roar with confidence and faith? Remember that you hadn't been born when the Red Sea parted. You've known manna and quails and seen one or two battles in the desert, but nothing like this. On the other hand, you've come through the Jordaan, you've been part of the preparations, the circumcisions for the men and the eating of the produce of the land.

Would you shout?

I'd have to admit, I think I would shout, but I'm not sure I would start shouting with full confidence... The shouting of those around me would help though. I think by the end of it I would be shouting my lungs out. My shouting would be a venting of all the tension, all the waiting, all the hope and all the fears. I would shout it all out. It would all be "out there" for God to see and know. "O Lord I believe - help my unbelief".

There have been moments in my life when I have shouted like that. I've been out in veld, out on my bike, or alone at home. I've shouted with joy and victory. I've shouted out pain and heartache. I've shouted in the uncertainty of waiting and doubt.

And God hears!