Friday, November 16, 2018

EmmDev 2018-11-16 [Encouragement] How to encourage Paul


How to encourage Paul

How do you encourage a person of the calibre of the Apostle Paul?
What does it take to "fill up his tank?"

In his letter to Philemon, we get an amazing insight to Paul's heart:
You see, Paul was encouraged when he saw the people of God encouraging and caring for one-another...

Here's something I wrote in 2004:
...Our congregation has taken a beating in the last few months. We have been through some tragedies and very sad losses. There are not easy answers and there are no trite sayings that can be band-aid plasters to the deep wounds we feel. God Himself has to be our Comforter and our Strength.

But there is a great deal of help that comes from good community. In the midst of the sadness and sorrow, our congregation community has shown tender loving care in all sorts of amazing ways. People have prayed for those who have been ill and bereaved. People have sent thoughtful sms's and cooked meals for those who have struggled. People have come to serve tea, have baked cake, fetched and carried, and taken a load of practical things off the shoulders of those who had very heavy loads. They have pitched in and lifted the hands of the weary and supported those who have felt so weak.

It has been an amazing experience for me. These experiences of love and kindness have inspired me and lifted me. As I have witnessed these simple acts of love, devotion, and care - this refreshing of hearts of the saints - I have been amazingly comforted...

Now, fourteen years later I am still seeing the same things!

While I can't claim any kin-ship with Paul beyond the "chief of sinners" thing, I do feel like Paul did - encouraged and filled with joy because I have seen the saints (that's you!) refreshing the hearts of the broken-hearted and those being squeezed and stretched.

No, I don't have all the answers to the "why?" questions. And I haven't figured out exactly why life can be so hard. (I have some ideas, but not the specifics) But I have seen a God who loves us and transforms the hearts of His children so that they are His hands, feet, and voices saying "I am still with you and I still love you!"

And I am ENCOURAGED.

Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.      (Philemon1:7)