Friday, November 2, 2012

EMMDEV 2012-11-02 [Proverbs revisited] Revenge

Do not say "I'll pay you back for this wrong"
Wait for the Lord and He will deliver you Proverbs20:22

Someone I knew had a coffee cup that said: "I don't get mad - I get even!"

The desire for revenge is an integral part of our fallen human nature. Unfortunately this almost always ends up in an endless unsatisfying cycle of wronging others and being wronged by others and very often it is the innocent bystanders who get hurt along the way.

The problem with revenge is that when we do it, we do it imperfectly and without clean slates. We do not have the right to sit in judgement and mete out revenge because we ourselves are unjust. God does not indulge in revenge, but He avenges. He acts on our behalf when we are wronged. He will right the wrongs and balance the scales of justice.

The problem is one of timescales. We want justice to be done here and now, whilst God has a longer term view. Sometimes justice happens in this life and sometimes it will only come at the end of the age.

I'm learning to be patient when I am wronged: God will sort it all out - I don't have to perpetuate the cycle of heartache and pain, He will give me the strength and the courage to pick things up and move from where I am.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/