Thursday, November 13, 2014

EMMDEV 2014-11-13 [Apostle's Creed] Believe (#2) Incorporating Doubt

Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"
"From childhood," he answered. 22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."
23 " `If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."
24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark9:21-24

The boy had been having seizures or fits since he was little. The man was desperate. The disciples had been trying to help but to no avail. They brought the boy to Jesus and the evil spirit threw him to the ground. The conversation in our reading is happening while the boy convulses on the ground...

Jesus has already rebuked the disciples and the crowd for unbelief. Now Jesus tells the man that anything is possible for those who believe. In a moment of beautiful clarity and outright honesty the man exclaims "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Faith without doubt is fact - not faith.
Faith requires trust - it's always a leap into the unknown.

The man, with a convulsing child on one side and Jesus on the other, turns and looks Jesus in the eye and asks for help. "I want to believe, but I've been disappointed and I doubt, but I believe YOU can help me."

Faith is never without some element of doubt. Faith is not the "power of positive thinking." Faith is always a plea for help. It's an expression of trust. It's realising that whatever the circumstances two things are sure:
1. Jesus is _good_.
2. Jesus can _help_.

That evening that man walked home with his arm around a healthy boy: The awesome outcome of doubting faith brought to trustworthy Messiah.

This is what "Believe" is all about.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/