Friday, February 17, 2017

EmmDev 2017-02-16 [Treasure in Clay Pots (2Cor)] Boasting #1: Trouble


Boasting #1: Trouble

What anyone else dares to boast about--I am speaking as a fool--I also dare to boast about. 22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. 23 Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?      (2Corinthians11:21-29)
And so Paul starts his "boasting"...

He starts off talking about the racial and ethnic claims that his enemies were making. He argues that he also is a "true Jew" but then points out the purpose for which the Jews were called, which was to be the servants of God, taking His message into the world.

What is the "badge of honour" for a servant?
Surely it is service?
Paul goes on to list his service in the language of trouble.

A servant does not have the right of comfort or privilege - the servant often walks the road of trouble. Paul's list of hardships is intimidating: he has surely been faithful even when the going has been tough - he has earned his "badge of honour".

But there is a more subtle edge to Paul's boasting too. He is hinting that that the "super apostles" who demand payment for their services from a fledgling congregation have not walked the road of sacrifice or suffering.

He also implies that they don't actually care about the flock like he does. ("Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?")

What should we conclude from this?
Firstly, we should recognise that God's servants aren't immune to trouble. Trouble may come but Paul stays faithful and true to his calling.

Secondly, Paul's pastoral heart weighs on him as heavily as shipwrecks, beatings, hunger and danger. Paul is crystal clear - he really cares about the flock God has entrusted to his care.

Thirdly, Paul is hesitant to "boast" like this. He calls it "foolish" but he is desperate to protect the Corinthian church from those who would mislead the Corinthians with a "celebrity" leadership model.The Christian singer Steve Camp asked a key question: "Are we servants without scars?"

As Christians we are called to be servants and not celebrities. We may see hardship and we may end up with callouses and scars, but it will be because we have really and truly loved others.