Wednesday, February 17, 2010

EMMDEV 2010-02-17 [Reality Bytes] Priorities

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew6:33
There's the story about the college professor who demonstrated the value of setting priorities to his students by putting sand, stones and rocks into a jar. If you put the sand in first, it fills a third of the jar and then the stones fill another two thirds and there is not enough space for the rocks. If however, you put the rocks in first, the stones and the sand fit into the spaces between the rocks.
So, if putting the rocks in first is important then it is probably essential to figure out what the Rock-Priorities in our lives are.
Here's my take on a priority list.
1. God: My personal relationship with Him - my Quiet Time and day to day obedience to His promptings and guidance.
2. My Family: My spouse (first) and then my children if I am married. My parents and siblings if I am not.
3. My Job or my Studies: If we believe that work is a calling (and God created us to work!), then our job or our studies are the key area where God can use me in my life. (But I have to draw boundaries to prevent this part of my life from destroying others)
4. My Church: God and church are not the same thing and very often people confuse being involved at church with their relationship with God. Preparing a Sunday School lesson or a Bible Study does not replace my Quiet Time with God. But the church (in spite of historical failures and human imperfections) is God's chosen vehicle to change the world. Most of what I do for God (apart from sharing my faith with those I come into contact with) should ideally happen in the context of the church. (But I have to draw boundaries too)
5. My Health: Exercise and Relaxation are critical - they "sharpen the saw" and preserve our energy and vitality for the rest of our lives. (But I must avoid the trap of being self-obsessed)
6. Friends: Friends are in two groups: Those who help me get closer to God and those who I am trying to get closer to God. There should be balance in this too.
If you're anything like me, reading a list like this often leaves one feeling convicted. The danger is that the conviction leads to paralysis instead of action. We feel: "My life is so out of balance that I'm not even going to try and turn it around." My advice is don't try and fix it all at once, because those efforts often fail. Go for small, incremental wins that change those ingrained habits one little victory at a time.
God's glory and your sense of value and worth are what's at stake!
---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/