Tuesday, May 8, 2012

EMMDEV 2012-05-08 [Forty Days of Resurrection] 3.Getting our perspective right

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. Revelation1:17-18

If I were doing these 40 days in some semblance of a chronological sequence, then I should be doing this passage right at the end... This is John the Apostle in exile on the Island of Patmos in about 90AD; some 60 years after the resurrection took place. John receives a vision of the risen Christ.

I am dealing with it here because we need a forceful reminder of the tremendous significance of the resurrection.

John is an old man, persecuted for his faith and near the end of his life. If he wasn't asking the questions, then those around him were...
"Is it worth it?"
"Does it make sense to follow God all your life if all it does is land you up in exile in a dusty penal colony?"
"What is our hope in the midst of all this persecution and opposition?"
"Why should I persevere in my faith?"

John has an incredible vision - He sees the risen and ascended Christ dressed in a magnificent robe with a golden sash. His head and eyes glow with the fire of divine glory, His voice is powerful and a sword comes from His mouth and He holds stars symbolising the church in His hand.

And John collapses!
And the magnificent Christ comforts him.
"I am the Alpha and Omega - I encompass EVERYTHING."
"I overcame death and it remains ever-defeated."
"I have the keys of death and Hades - nothing can withstand me."

The resurrection isn't like Lazarus who was raised and then died again. Likewise some have argued that Jesus didn't actually rise, but "lived on in the hearts and memories of the disciples." That is simply not true. An aged John would not, after sixty years of struggle, have been comforted by a "memory."

The actual resurrection and ascension of Christ is our assurance that life has purpose, that we do not have to fear death and that our sins are completely forgiven because He is alive.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/