Tuesday, July 17, 2012

EMMDEV 2012-07-17 [Forty Days of Resurrection] 27.Final Instructions #3

After a break for the holidays, the eDevs are back. Just to recap... we are busy with 40 reflections on the Resurrection and in particular we are looking at the "commissions" we find at the end of the gospels and the beginning of Acts.
These were given by the Risen Christ in the Forty Days between His Resurrection and Ascension...
-----------------------------------
Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark16:14-18

Like Matthew, Mark also draws attention to the doubting of the disciples. But Mark doesn't call it doubt, he calls it "a stubborn refusal to believe" (The Greek is "sklerokardia" - hardness of heart). It seems that doubt in the resurrection is a big and concerning issue.

Belief in the resurrection is the _foundation_ of a powerful missionary church. The clearer our picture of a resurrected victorious Christ is, the more likely it is that we will "Go into all the world", that we will see lives changed and miracles will accompany us.

We so easily confine Jesus to the pages of history. Our faith becomes a paging through a scrap book of yellowing photos - Baby Jesus in the manger in Bethlehem, Jesus in the dusty streets, Jesus talking to the crowds at Galilee, Jesus dying on the cross...

But the great hymn says:
"I serve a Risen Saviour - He's in the world today
I know that He is living - whatever men may say
I see His hand of mercy; I hear His voice of cheer;
And just the time I need Him, He's always near.
He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart.

As a teenager I was part of a vibrant youth group where we saw young people give their lives to Christ, come out of satanism and go into the ministry. We saw healings, miracles and amazing answers to prayer. Guess what our favourite favourite chorus was...
It was: "God's not dead, NO! He's alive, I feel Him in my heart, I feel Him in my feet, I feel Him on the street - I feel Him all over me!"

Mark links soft-resurrection-believing hearts to missionary fervour and signs and wonders. Hard-hearts that lose sight of the resurrection don't "Go" and don't experience God's power.

Do you KNOW He lives?

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/