Wednesday, July 23, 2014

EMMDEV 2014-07-23 [Random Musings] Is despondency a sin?

After a break for the holidays, EmmDevs are back...

My friend and colleague, Andries Combrink, wrote this devotion which I think is very apt for this time of year.
-------------------------------
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalms73:26

"My flesh and my heart may fail" defines despondency, meaning unhappiness, sadness, hopelessness and misery. There are three parts to this little phrase.

"My flesh" â€" there is a physical component to despondency. The body weakens, there are aches, pains, fatigue and eventually the risk of serious illness as a result of constant misery â€" ulcers, strokes, heart decease â€" and there always is exhaustion.

Secondly, "and my heart" - there is an emotional-spiritual dimension to despondency. We feel discouraged, depressed, gloomy and burned out.

Thirdly, there is this word, "fail." It means to come to your wit's end and be depleted of resources.

Is it a sin to experience despondency?

Under sad and hopeless circumstances it is no sin to feel despondent. Many of the exemplary believers in the Scriptures experienced deep and dark sadness and even hopelessness. Jesus was overwhelmed with sorrow in Gethsemane.

But, what is a sin is to yield to despondency. To make it your partner for life, to refuse to fight it and to think that God cannot reach you in that dark space â€" or to believe that God cannot change your broken heart into a source of gladness and joy!

The most important 2 words in this verse are: "But God...Psalm 73:26 contains this truth: "My flesh and my heart may fail": And then comes the counter attack: “but God.”

So here we are, often feeling that the plug has been pulled out of our lives and we are left empty and without plan or joy.

"But God". God is the strength of my life.

God is my portion forever!

Despondency comes from many places.

But faith comes from one place only. It comes from the willingness to say: "but God." But God can fill me with gladness again.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/