Friday, August 15, 2014

EMMDEV 2014-08-15 [Random Musings] Your personal inventory

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2Peter1:5-8

In the movie, "Blue Thunder", the hero checks his reflexes and mental alertness by trying to estimate the passing of sixty seconds while he's doing complex maneuvers in his helicopter. One of his critics says: "So you measure your sanity with a stopwatch?" To which he replies "Well what do you use? A dipstick?"

This list in Peter's second letter identifies three movements in the spiritual journey:
- Internal Spirituality (faith, goodness and knowledge)
- Practical Consistency (self-control, perseverance and godliness)
- Reaching Others (brotherly kindness and love)

Is this list the ultimate checklist? Is it the definitive list of requirements? No! This is not salvation by works, but rather a question of personal growth.

These are qualities that show that we are in relationship with Jesus and if these qualities are missing, there's probably a problem with my connection to Him. I can use this list as a personal inventory to gauge the quality of my connection to Him.

So, how am I doing?
-Am I easily able to trust Him or am I struggling to let go?
-Am I trending more toward light and darkness in my habits?
-Do I know more about God and does that knowledge bring life & joy?
-How am I doing with temptations?
-What is my stamina like when I face spiritual and emotional uphill?
-Can others see fingerprints of God on my life?
-Do people experience kindness in my demeanour?
-Could those around me see unconditional love at work in me?

These habits are both the MEANS TO and the EVIDENCE OF a close walk with Jesus. If your evaluation didn't come out too well - focus more on God than than the habits. If your evaluation came out well - thank Him for shining through you!

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/