Friday, December 5, 2014

EMMDEV 2014-12-05 [Apostle's Creed] Only Son

Apologies for the missed devs for Wed & Thu - I took a bit of leave....
-----------------------------
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John3:16

We believe in "Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord..."

In Genesis 22 (the story of Abraham who is asked to sacrifice Isaac) we read: "Then God said, `Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.`"

We know that the account ends with Isaac being spared, but in the account of God's dealing with humanity, Jesus the Son is not spared: He is _given_:

1. Given in the Incarnation to experience humanity as He "made Himself nothing and taking on the form and nature of a servant. (Phil.2)

2. Given in the Crucifixion to pay the price for our sin. (Rom.6:23)

3. Given in the Ascension to live forever praying for us. (Heb7:24-25)

But I'd like to think about the "Only Son" a little more...
While it is true that you and I are adopted as sons and daughters of God, we are not sons and daughters in the same way as Jesus is God's Son. Jesus is in unique relation with the Father.
- He is the beloved Son in whom the Father is pleased.
- He is the unique expression of who the Father is.
- He is uniquely obedient - even to death on the cross.

When I became a parent, I along with Abraham, began to understand a little bit of how difficult it might be to give up my only son. When I believe in Jesus who is God's only Son, I believe in a God who loves and is loved and then shares and sacrifices this love for me who has not loved Him anywhere near as faithfully...

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo @ emmanuel.org.za