Saturday, October 24, 2015

EmmDev 2015-10-24 [Month of Mission 2015] We need to promt-able




We need to promt-able

Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, "Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means "queen of the Ethiopians"). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it."      (Acts8:26-29)
Often when I give an instruction for my children to follow, I get a million questions or complaints... I just wish they would just go and do what I am asking, is that too much to ask of them??
I wonder if God has the same experience with us... Today's passage speaks about how the angel of the Lord asked Philip to go South on a desert road. Not once in this encounter does Philip question God or the angel as to where exactly or why. In fact even to this day it is not entirely clear why Philip was asked to do this, why he was asked to speak and expound the Word of the Lord or even baptise the Ethiopian eunuch. Of course I would love to speculate that this eunuch went on and many people were converted also, and maybe even the "Queen of the Ethiopians". But the text does neither confirm or deny this fantasy.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to be like the disciples who left everything to follow Jesus?
How would we react today to such a request? For me it would need something amazing like an angel for me to even consider the request.... what about you?
Often I pray, "use me Lord..." perhaps I need to reconsider this dangerous offer.

Lord, help us to be open and aware of the different ways you call us. Help us to be able, like Philip to do what you ask of us.
Amen

------------------------------------------
Melanie Cook, wife, mother and minister at St Giles Presbyterian Church, Chaplain to the Moderator of General Assembly.