Friday, May 6, 2016

EmmDev 2016-05-06 [Understanding the Ascension of Jesus] He sends the Holy SPirit

He sends the Holy Spirit

On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
... 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."      (Acts1:4-8)
Jesus' ascension marked an important transition: the coming of the Holy Spirit. Up until this point, the Holy Spirit came upon kings and prophets temporarily for specific purposes at specific times.

Because Jesus made a full sacrifice for our sins and paid for our guilt, it is now possible for us to be indwelt by His Spirit. When Jesus "sat down" at the Father's right hand (indicating that His work was complete) He could send the Holy Spirit to indwell us in a way that had not been possible since Adam and Eve sinned.

Because of the completed work of Christ, we are able to receive the power of the Holy Spirit who is poured out on a redeemed world to do great and beautiful things in believers, in the church and in the world.

The prophet Joel put it beautifully:
"And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days. (Joel2:28-29)

When Jesus was having the Last Supper with His disciples and preparing them for His death, resurrection and ascension, they were distraught at the idea of His departure. But Jesus comforted them with these words:
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. (John14:16-19)

In essence Jesus is saying: "I'm going so that you can have something better!!"

We've received a beautiful gift through the ascension!