Thursday, June 2, 2016

EmmDev 2016-06-02 [Treasure in Clay Pots (2Cor)] Conflicts #2 Assumptions

Conflicts #2 Assumptions

Because I was confident of this, I planned to visit you first so that you might benefit twice. 16 I planned to visit you on my way to Macedonia and to come back to you from Macedonia, and then to have you send me on my way to Judea. 17 When I planned this, did I do it lightly? Or do I make my plans in a worldly manner so that in the same breath I say, "Yes, yes" and "No, no"?      (2Corinthians1:15-17)
There are two assumptions that were made in the relationship between Paul and the congregation in Corinth.

The first assumption was one that Paul had. He assumed that the 18 month track-record he had with the Corinthians when he stayed with them was a firm foundation. He was "confident of this" - the "this" being the relationship he described in the previous verses.

As it turns out, unfortunately, people quickly forget the best about others and their faith and confidence in them can be shaken by absence, miscommunication and hardship.

This is what happened in this relationship. Paul had made an arrangement with them and when the itinerary changed, the second assumption came into play. The congregation in Corinth assumed that Paul had made this promise lightly and therefore broke it easily.

Paul has to defend himself asking "Do you really think I'm the kind of guy who makes promises he intends to break? Do I say yes-yes and no-no in the same sentence?" It's a rhetorical question and the answer he's expecting is "Of course not."

Unfortunately, with a bit of prompting from malicious outsiders, this second assumption took root in Corinthian hearts and the good relationship that Paul initially assumed to be strong was badly damaged.

Two lessons to learn:

  1. Relationships are fragile. We can't assume that they will remain robust. We have to nurture and strengthen them constantly.
  2. It's very easy to assume the wrong things about a relationship and these assumptions can cause great damage. We have to guard our hearts against assuming too quickly

This is serious food for thought...