At the heart of relationships...We've looked at three relationships so far:
- With those we tend to look down on and be judgemental of
- With those who tend to be abusive and dismissive
- With our Heavenly Father who opens, answers and finds
There are two more relationships to be explored:
- With those who claim to speak for God
- With those who claim to be near to God
But before we get to the last two relationships, Jesus offers us vital advice about relationships and the first part of His advice is probably the most widely quoted saying from the the Sermon on the Mount and is often called the "Golden Rule" - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
This truly is at the heart of relationships.
We know how we would like to be treated...
There are three things that I believe everyone wants from others:
- To be Valued: That they are Respected, Appreciated, Treasured, Included and Noticed.
- To be Protected: That they are Nurtured, Defended, Provided for by others.
- To be Offered Grace: A second chance when they make mistakes.
But this is not an easy road.
It is a narrow and difficult road.
Most people live self-focussed instead of being other-focussed.
We are called to live differently and it is not easy...
Which road are you on?
|12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. |
13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (Matthew7:12-14)
Emmanuel Presby Church
firstname.lastname@example.org Cell: 082-5510752