Friday, April 19, 2019

EmmDev 2019-04-19 [Lent2019] Easter in Three Pictures #3

Easter in Three Pictures #3

This year I found three images that have expressed so much of what I feel and believe around Holy Week. This third one is related to Resurrection Sunday. (And I'm sharing it with you, today, on Friday, because, after the heartbreak of the Cross, we need hope.)
There's a lot to like about this picture:

  • The solid stone of the grave hinting at the power death has over us.
  • The glorious light that depicts resurrection power,
  • The white robe portraying Jesus as sinless and pure
  • The bare feet reminding us that He shared in our vulnerable humanity
  • The striding up the stairs: Victory, Hope and Purpose
The words on the picture are spoken by the angel to the women who had come to embalm Jesus' body. The angel is the first preacher of the resurrection and he has a three point sermon:

  1. Don't be afraid. The crucified Jesus is Risen - just as He said.
    Fear has such a hold over us. We have to allow the resurrection speak to our fears.
  2. Come and see. He's not here! Although time is of the essence (he will tell them to go quickly to the disciples), there is time and place for the woman to be certain that Jesus is not there - that He is risen. In a time where the bodily resurrection seems to be negotiable for some theologians, we, with the women, are urged to absorb and appreciate the fact that the tomb is empty.
  3. Go and tell His disciples that He's going ahead and they must follow to see Him. It really is true that we see and experience the Risen Jesus best when we are following in His steps rather than waiting for Him to "prove" Himself to us.
I love the little phrase at the end of the angel's sermon: "Now (Behold/See) I have told you." It's as though he's saying "See! I've done it! I've faithfully discharged my duty, now so must you..."
It's my prayer that these three images of will lodge themselves deep in your heart as you worship Him this Easter:

  • The lone palm waving worshipper and the King
  • The cruel nails
  • The Victory of the empty tomb
And see, now I've told you....
The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."      (Matthew28:5-7)
This brings us to the end of the Lent 2019 series.
I pray it has been a blessing to you.
I'll be taking a break from e-devotions until May.