Tuesday, September 24, 2019

EmmDev 2019-09-24 [Prayer like breathing] Heritage Prayers for our Land


Heritage Prayers for our Land

In South Africa today is Heritage Day - a public holiday on which we celebrate our country's heritage. Many call it "braai day" and use it have the traditional barbecue that South Africans love so much. This should be accompanied with gratitude for our many blessings and  also with mindfulness that we all have work to do to make our country and our world a better and safer place.

In a harsh and dangerous world, Paul urged Timothy and his congregation to pray for leaders and those in authority.

Our country and world face heartaches and strains (and I'm not going to make a list of these today...) Even our President has requested that faith communities pray for our land.

In the light of these needs and calls to prayer may I urge you to pray? Please bow your head right now and join me in a moment of prayer for our nation....

"Lord, you see the state of our nation.
You hear the cries of Your people.
We pray for ALL our leaders today
And for Your guidance in facing the critical issues of our time.
We pray for our land which is Your land and for its people.
We pray for leaders in politics, economics, media and social settings.
We pray for the angry and frustrated.
We pray for the desperate and the helpless.
We pray for justice and righteousness to flourish.
And then....
Help me to be part of the solution and not the problem.
Deal with me where my heart is hard.
Show me where I can make a practical difference.
Deal with me where I may be hard-hearted to my fellow human.
Give me Your heart for the afflicted and oppressed.
Help me overcome my fears and excuses.
Show me how I can be the difference in our land.
Lord hear our prayer.
Amen."

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.      (1Timothy2:1-2)

PS: Please note that the reference for yesterday's edev was incorrect (It needs to be 1Kings 19 and not 2Kings)