Tuesday, October 22, 2019

EmmDev 2019-10-22 [He gave Gifts - Month of Mission 2019] A call to unity

[For this week our theme is "What does a healthy church look like?"]

A call to unity

When I do my marriage services, I like to quote the second chapter in Genesis, where a man is called to leave his mother and father, and go to become one flesh with his wife, so that the two will become one.

I also ask the question "Did God really know what he was doing, when he spoke these words?". I mean two completely different people, from different families and backgrounds, are expected to leave the comfort of what they know and go and be together for the rest of their lives! When put like that, it does sound crazy!

Perhaps even more crazy.... is when you think about the church! Barbara Brown Taylor, when speaking about the church, once said "the church is just about the last place in our world, where people are united over one single idea, Jesus Christ. For Jesus attracts people from every background, every language, every political standpoint and so on."

If we focus on our differences we will go nowhere, and there will be no unity. We have been called to focus on what draws us together... Jesus. When we focus on Jesus, then suddenly we have the ability to bring all sorts of people, with a variety of gifts, talents and skills together to build the Kingdom of God here on earth.

Perhaps God does know what He's doing after all.

For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be quarrelling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.      (2Corinthians12:20)

Melanie Cook, married to her best friend Gordon. Proud mother to Joshua and Rebecca. Minister of St Giles, the church "who meet in a house".