Thursday, February 6, 2020

EmmDev 2020-02-06 [Hungry Prayers] In this life and the next


In this life and the next

Most people relate to Psalm 23 as a comfort prayer - they wouldn't easily call it a hungry prayer.

Today I am conducting a funeral for a young man who passed away too soon (he was 46). His name is Adriaan ("Addi") and he was a relative, a friend and much loved. Tributes have poured in about his enthusiastic love for life and others. Throughout his illness and after his passing psalm 23 popped up all over the place.

But the more I've reflected on the Psalm, the more I'm convinced of its hunger. The Psalm explores the length, depth and breadth of life and then creeps across the horizon.

We start with the length which is expressed as green pastures, quiet waters, soul restoration and right paths. This speaks of our longings in the hurly-burly busy-ness of life. David realises that, in the midst of complexity, peace can only be found with God. But he also recognises the beauty of life that can so often be missed unless we take a moment to count our blessings and thank the Blesser.
But life can get deep: The valley of the shadow of death is a place where our bullies are frailty, doubt and death. Whether we face our own mortality or that of others, we are not alone or unprotected. David knows that He needs the presence of the One who walks with us and protects us.

Along with depth, life can get broad. There are a vast number of enemies who would try to convince us that we don't have enough and that we aren't "broad" enough. But our loving Father provides all we need and our cups overflow.
Then comes the horizon - the realisation that this life is not our final destination - that we were made for more than this.

David, the shepherd-king (and we have no idea of how old he was when he wrote this Psalm) reflected on life's length, depth and breadth and the horizon of life. He realised that all of this only makes sense if we would let the Lord be our Shepherd, Protector, Provider, Host and Father.

Read this prayer not only for its comfort, but also its hunger.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.      (Psalms23:1-6)