Friday, May 7, 2021

EmmDev 2021-05-07 [Exultant Exalting Exodus] Exothermic without Expiry


Exothermic without Expiry

I couldn't resist that title! ;-)
It burned but was not consumed!

Moses is in the wilderness working on his stutter when God calls him.

The bush, burning, but not burning up, grabs his attention.

And as he gets there, he discovers that he is meeting with the living God.

This burning bush is symbolic of God's Spirit and of God's Calling. To mention just a few instances of the Spirit as fire: 
Zechariah depicts the Holy Spirit as a lampstand where the lamps are constantly fed by channels of oil. 
In Acts 2 the Holy Spirit appears as "tongues of fire" on the heads of the believers.
In Thessalonians Paul urges them not to quench the Spirit's fire.

But fire is also the symbol of God's Presence and Power. Think of Elijah and the Prophets of Baal. (In that case the fire did consume.)

I think this is a powerful image of what God would do within us: that we will burn brightly, blazing with the light and glory of God, bringing the warmth of God and the protection of God and yet we will not be consumed. 

I think this has two dimensions:
Firstly, we are not consumed by His glory and majesty, as with Moses and because of Jesus, God puts us in the cleft of the rock and shelters us with his hand that we may "see Him and live". My brain can barely grasp the immensity of the Being who created the universe, and yet I may call on Him as my Father.

Secondly, I believe that as we serve Him, He will renew our strength so that we are not overwhelmed and exhausted. We will be given grace and peace. We'll take His yoke and learn from Him because His yoke is easy and His burden is light. (Mt.11:28-30)

It was Wesley who said: "Every morning I set myself on fire and invite people to come and watch me burn!!!"

Thank You Spirit that you are all the might and power I need and then, when I walk in Your ways, I can burn and not be consumed. 


 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.  There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up.  So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight--why the bush does not burn up."
When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"
    And Moses said, "Here I am."
"Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." (Exodus3:1-5)