Saturday, October 16, 2021

EmmDev 2021-10-16 [UPCSA Month of Mission 2021] A Lukewarm Church

A Lukewarm Church

If Jesus would take your spiritual temperature before you read this devotion, what would He find?  Hot or lukewarm or cold?

We have heard/read yesterday what happens when a church faded due to half-hearted repentance -- and that applied not only to Sardis, but to all the seven churches.  We focus today on the last church, but also the richest of all seven churches.

The first remark of the Lord was that their deeds were lukewarm, and He could get rid of them.  When they were hot, they had provided warmth in a cold environment, or they refreshed a thirsty soul when they were cold.  They had a passion to share the Gospel (God's Only Son Prepared Eternal Life) to those outside in the cold without the Gospel.  However, since they had it all, especially financially, they became self-sufficient and did not depend on God anymore.  They have possibly an unwillingness to stake a stand and even showed signs of indifference.  That led to a passiveness and eventual self-destruction.  

You might have heard of congregations / churches in maintenance mode.  This congregation could be proud of their past achievements but ignorant of the needs of their community and unwilling to stretch their comfort zone.  The result? They die.

God does not leave them in their state of lukewarmness.  He offers guidance to restoration and become what the church has been destined to be -- a church that reaches out with warmness and passion to those in the cold, outside.  The church needed to buy from the Lord refined gold -- to make a deliberate choice to turn back to God and live with faith, refined by their cross-bearing.  They needed to depend again on God and give up their self-sufficiency.  They needed to wear white clothes when they live out practical righteousness in their community.  They should also acquire the salve to gain spiritual vision for a world in need of the love and care of God.  Be a missional church and play an active role to make it happen!

Do not expect to wear a crown but be willing to carry a cross.  Do not get worked up by conspiracy theories and politics and sport but take the best time of the day to stand in awe when the Bible -- and God Himself -- speaks to you in person. 
"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation.  15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either one or the other!  16 So, because you are lukewarm---neither hot nor cold---I am about to spit you out of my mouth.  17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.'  But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked.  18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.  So be earnest and repent.  20 Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.  22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
(Revelation3:14-22)

Rev Hein Barnard has been seconded to the Bible Society of South Africa since 2014 and is married to Elna with three daughters, one son-in-law and two granddaughters.  He lives his passion!