Wednesday, March 8, 2023

EmmDev 2023-03-08 [Lent Reflections] Known

Known

Lord You have searched me and you know me
You know when I sit and when I rise...
Where can I go from Your Spirit,
where can I flee from your presence? ...
For You created my inmost being
- you knit me together in my mother's womb
I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made
Your works are wonderful, I know that full well
My frame was not hidden from You
when I was made in the secret place
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth
Your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written
in Your book before any one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts O God.
How vast is the sum of them
Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand...
Search me o God and know my heart
- test me and know my anxious thoughts
See if there is any offensive way in me
and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalms139:1-24)
In this breathtaking psalm David celebrates the amazing truth that God is passionate about us. The psalm begins with an affirmation that God knows us - He sees us clearly - warts and all. It ends with an invitation for God to search even into our darkness so that we might be transformed and renewed.

While it is one thing to be excited about the fact that we were created good, the ultimate question relates to whether God still attaches value to us when He sees us as we really are - broken and wounded by sin.

While we want to run from God, He relentlessly pursues us, searching for us, longing for us, desiring to reach us.
In the midst of the darkness of our brokenness comes this incredible affirmation:
"I am created by You, I am hand-knitted by You
and You wove me together,
I am made with infinite care and love,
And you have have a plan for me
and you have a clear picture of the boundaries of my life.
You think about me so often that I can't actually count the number of thoughts you have about me."

"In the light of the incredible attention to detail in my creation,
why should I not let You in and let You love away my brokenness?"

This is what Lent is all about: Letting the light of our loving Creator transform us...