Thursday, March 14, 2024

EmmDev 2024-03-14 [Lent2024 Exodus Explored] Extinguishing Expectation

Extinguishing Expectation

That same day Pharaoh gave this order to the slave drivers and foremen in charge of the people: "You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don't reduce the quota. They are lazy; that is why they are crying out, 'Let us go and sacrifice to our God.' Make the work harder for the men so that they keep working and pay no attention to lies." (Exodus5:6-9)
Pharaoh was a tyrant and he was good at it!

Yesterday we say how he took the wind out Moses' sails and now, without blinking, he severely tightens the screws. Previously the Israelites were already suffering with the quota of bricks they were required to make. But the straw that was mixed with the clay to help bind it had been supplied. Now Pharaoh insists that they source the straw themselves.

It's a brutal tactic which aimed to make sure that:
- an already exhausted people would feel their glimmer of hope extinguished
- they would be so busy and tired that they wouldn't have time for anything else
- they would turn on Moses and Aaron

And that's exactly what happened.

From the tyrant's perspective, this was extreme action was necessary because the Israelites outnumbered the Egyptians, and, if the "sleeping giant" awoke, the Egyptians would be in trouble. So he tightens the screws, crushes their hope, stifles their imagination and divides them.

The tyrants in our lives do the same.
There are times that the "chaos monster" unleashes in my life and while sometimes it's just the brokenness of our world, I think sometimes the evil one will also do what he can to unleash some chaos in my life to derail me.

I'm tempted to lose hope, to give in to my tiredness or to start blaming and be resentful.

But when chaos abounds it's time to focus.
We need to stay on track and not surrender hope, not be overwhelmed by our tiredness and not be resentful.

Over the last few years I have adopted a strategy:
When chaos overwhelms I go into "plod mode" - I just relentlessly put one foot in front of the other and get things done. I don't overthink, I don't feel sorry for myself, I do try to get enough sleep and I remind myself "tomorrow is another day" and "this will pass" and "don't major on minors."

I don't always get it right, but I'm getting better.
And God keeps surprising me with grace!