Thursday, May 28, 2015

EmmDev 2015-05-28 [Pentecost 2015] Sealed

Sealed

Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.        (2Corinthians1:21-22)
This idea of being sealed as God's property, with the Spirit as a deposit (down-payment) guaranteeing what is to come (our inheritance) is an incredible and beautiful thought.

Paul takes this thought further:
Because you are sons and daughters, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son or daughter; and since you are a son or daughter, God has made you also an heir. (Galatians 4:6-7)

The Holy Spirit is our guarantee that:

  1. We belong to God – In fact, we are His children and can call Him "Abba" (An Aramaic word which means "Daddy") It is a word of intimacy and affection. It is a term that indicates security and trust. The Spirit helps us to have this intimacy.
  2. Our salvation is assured – we have been saved and forgiven
  3. We have eternal life.

The God of the universe sees fit to live in the junkyard of my heart.
- I was created in His image - to know Him - but I fell away.
- Jesus took my punishment and set me free from my brokenness.
- His Spirit lives in me so that I can know that I am His.

A few years ago Shawn Fouche helped us put this video to the words of a beautiful song by Mark Schultz. It describes the Spirit's work as a seal so well: We belong to God!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCum1GV5v-g

YOU ARE A CHILD OF MINE - Mark Schultz

I've been hearing voices
Telling me that I could
Never be what I wanna be.
They're binding me with lies,
Haunting me at night,
And saying there's nothing to believe.
Somewhere in the quietness,
When I'm overcome with loneliness,
I hear You call my name.
And like a father You are near
And as I listen I can hear You say

[Chorus:]
You are a child of Mine
Born of My own design
And you bear the heart of life.
No matter where you go,
Oh, you will always know
You have been made free in Christ.
You are a child of Mine

And so I listen as You tell me who I am
And who it is I'm gonna be.
And I hang on every word,
Knowing I have heard
I am Yours and I am free
But when I am alone at night
That is when I hear the lie
You'll never be enough
And though I'm giving into fear
If I listen I can hear You say

[Chorus]

I am calling..
I am calling..
I am calling..