Thursday, May 7, 2015

EmmDev 2015-05-07 [Apostle's Creed] The forgiveness of sins

The forgiveness of sins

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all...
10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand. Isaiah53:6-10

Guilt.

How does this word and its buddies (shame, regret, self-hate, failure and bitter remorse) make you feel? Guilt drove Adam and Eve to hide in the garden and it drives you and me into avoidance, neuroses, denial, isolation, distraction and many other failures.

The creed offers us the simple and permanent solution: forgiveness.

Not a self-help tool.
Not a pep-talk.
Not a technique.
But a gift.

A gift that is credible and reliable in what it promises because it came at a formidable cost. God's Son, Jesus the Saviour, the Rescuer, the Deliverer (This is what "Yeshua" means) came and gave His life to offer us this amazing gift. We can't earn it or deserve it, but oh my goodness we can receive it!!!

"My chains are gone, I've been set free
My God, my Saviour has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace"
(Chris Tomlin)

Take a moment and bow your head and give thanks.
You are forgiven.
You are free!
-------------------------------
You can listen to Chris Tomlin's song at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbe7OruLk8I