Thursday, May 21, 2015

EmmDev 2015-05-21 [Pentecost 2015] The Wind

The Wind

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John3:5-8
Human beings are created in the image of God. Genesis pictures this as God breathing into us. "Breath" and "Spirit" are the same word in Hebrew ("Ruach") and Greek ("Pneuma"). To be in the image of God is not that we physically resemble God, but rather that we are able to have a relationship with Him.

Sin put a wall of separation between us and our holy God. But sin also resulted in us dying spiritually - we, although we had capacity to relate to God (Pascal called it "a God-shaped hole inside us"), could no longer relate to Him.

The Spirit, the "Breath of God", breathes into the collapsed lungs of our Spirituality - He fills the sails of our stationary ship - and we live again, we move again...

The Spirit is the breath of life, the wind that fills the sails. Sometimes it's just cobwebs that must be moved, sometimes it's a sail that needs filling and sometimes it's life that must be restored. Sometimes it's even the mighty power of a gale that is needed, but the Spirit is God's breath, God's wind.

He is God, closer than a whisper, the breath in my lungs, the wind in my sails. I can't control Him, I can't predict Him, but I need Him to help me breathe and to move.

I love singing that old chorus:
Wind Wind blow on me, Wind Wind set me free.
Wind Wind the Father sent the blessed Holy Spirit.