Tuesday, August 11, 2015

EmmDev 2015-08-11 [John's Portraits of Christ] 18. Model Sufferer

18. Model Sufferer

3 So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.
4 Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"
5 "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied.
"I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) 6 When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.
7 Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?"
And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."
8 "I told you that I am he," Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go."      (John18:3-9)
The Thompson Chain Reference Bible entitles this chapter "The Model Sufferer." My first instinct is that this is not quite the title I would have chosen (I think I might have chosen "the willing sacrifice")

This chapter always fills me with awe. John doesn't portray Jesus as a helpless victim. Jesus isn't rendered powerless by the soldiers, He isn't just a statistic in Pilate's court roll for the day. He isn't being dragged inevitably to the cross.

Instead we see Jesus taking charge of each situation - He is not being dragged - He is deliberately moving toward the cross.

Look at the passage:

  • Jesus goes out to meet the soldiers. They don't get to shout "Freeze! You are surrounded! Drop your weapons!" Instead Jesus asks them who they want.
  • When they identify that it is Jesus they want, Jesus answers and in the Greek it is literally "I, I AM He." The connection to the other "I AM" statements in John and to the holy name of God given to Moses at the burning bush is clear. What happens next would be comical if it wasn't so downright awesome and incredible: The entire detachment collapses on the ground!
  • Jesus asks them again and negotiates the release of the disciples.
  • When Peter chops off the high priest's servant's ear we expect chaos to erupt. But Jesus controls the situation and even Peter is released!
  • Go and read the rest of the chapter. Jesus is in control. He is majestic and in charge. With the Pharisees and with Pilate.

Not a victim - but a willing sacrifice.
Not dragged to the cross but deliberately headed there.

How great is our God!