Friday, September 2, 2011

EMMDEV 2011-09-02 [Ephesians] Blessing 2: Adopted in spite of...

In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will. Ephesians1:5

God created us in His image and gave us the freedom to choose...
... and we chose WRONG!
Why would God even want any more to do with us?

Christian Band, NewSong, put it very eloquently:
"Sometimes I wonder: how You could ever love us?
We're never satisfied no matter what You do
You send the rain and we complain there's no sunshine
Yet every breath we take is all because of You

Sometimes I wonder: will things get any better?
Looks like we haven't changed since the dawn of time
You light the way - still we stay in darkness
And we try to tell ourselves that we will be just fine

Only heaven knows the pain we put You through
I don't know what You're thinking Lord
But I know what I would do

I'd start all over on Mars
Create a world that is far away from our ungratefulness
If I were the God that You are, I would be tempted to walk away
Wash my hands of this crazy mess
Make a world that would follow Your heart
I'd start all over on Mars!"
----
God did not "start all over on Mars" instead he decided to get us back. He decided to "adopt" us (after we had rejected Him as our Father.)
This adoption would cost a great deal...
Here's the heavy irony: For you and I to be adopted as sons and daughters of God, His only Son would have to die.

This gives us a reason to worship Him on Sunday!

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/