Friday, December 9, 2011

EMMDEV 2011-12-09 [Ephesians] Struggle #3: Intercession

Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians6:19-20

In the struggle to stand firm in God's will and purposes, Paul is convinced about the power of prayer.

In his second letter to the Corinthians (v.10-11) he says this: "He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favour granted us in answer to the prayers of many."

It is a mystery that God includes our prayers as part of how He works in our world. It bends our minds to try and balance Sovereignty and the human decision to pray or not to pray. But from Scripture and History we know that our prayers for one another have an impact.

When I struggle to wrap my mind around it, I remind myself to simply knuckle down and do it. All I have to do is pray. The results, mercifully, are God's problem.

David Meece wrote some powerful words about praying for others:

UNKNOWN SOLDIER
See him on the campus, as he studies with his friends,
They mean no harm, they laugh, and call him "preacher" now and then,
His words are few, he saves them 'til he's home and on his knees,
That's where he's a warrior; and he fights to see them free.

He's the unknown soldier, the unsung hero, the brother on the street,
He's the unknown soldier, the holy warrior who will never sound retreat,
He's your unseen comrade, and his triumph will be sweet,
He's the unknown soldier

There's been no bloody torture, no burning at the stake,
There'll be no published memoirs, no memorial for his sake,
And no one calls him "martyr"; his blood has not been shed,
Still, in combat he's been faithful in the little things instead.

He's the unknown soldier, the unsung hero, the brother on the street,
He's the unknown soldier, a holy warrior who will never sound retreat,
He's your unseen comrade, and his triumph will be sweet,
He's the unknown soldier

(how about being the "unknown soldier" for your pastor this weekend?)

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/