Tuesday, February 14, 2012

EMMDEV 2012-02-14 [Revelations Reassurances] Letter 7: Laodicea - Lukewarm

15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, `I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Revelation3:15-20

Laodicea was a very successful trading and banking city positioned on the most important trade route in Asia Minor. It's citizens were so rich that when the city experienced a terrible earthquake, the city refused help from Rome in the rebuilding. They also farmed sheep that produced a luxurious glossy black wool that was used to mass-produce an outergarment for which Laodicea was well known. They also produced an eye-salve that was very popular amongst healers throughout the empire.

The Lord Jesus writes them a tough letter: there is nothing positive about the church in Laodicea.
They are indifferent, inbetween, indecisive and ineffective: LUKEWARM.

It was in their successes that their failures lay.

They thought they were wealthy, clothed and of good-sight. But spiritually they were poor, naked and blind.

Jesus counsels them to get three things:
-Gold refined by fire - be willing to suffer for your faith
-White clothes - pursue righteousness rather than mediocrity
-Salve - Initially eye salve burns and so does facing up to the truth

Here's His challenge to them:
"19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."

Materialism, comfort and independence are some of our greatest enemies. When we are not aware of our need for Christ, we tend to live our own lives, becoming indifferent, inbetween, indecisive and ineffective: LUKEWARM.

Let's remember that we were once poor, naked and blind and that in spite of our material comfort, we still desperately need Christ.
===================================================
Andre' Steenekamp sent me this stunning weblink that lets you look at pictures of these seven churches.
http://www.welcometohosanna.com/REVELATION/index.html

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/