Tuesday, August 6, 2019

EmmDev 2019-08-06 [A Life of Thanksgiving] Thanks-giving is a sign of Health


Thanks-giving is a sign of Health

For many people the phrase "As the deer pants for the water..." brings warm recollections of a beautiful song of praise based on Psalm 42. But although the Psalm is much loved, it is actually a psalm that addresses a "dark night of the soul", a "desert time", "a spiritual winter", a "bout of depression" or whatever we want to call it.

The whole psalm is an internal conversation the psalmist is having with his soul that is struggling with feeling far from God. There is great beauty and wisdom in the Psalm which helps us in a number of ways. There's not time today to look at the whole of the Psalm or to dig too deep in the amazing guidance it offers, but here's a quick overview:

  1. Acknowledge your struggle
  2. Pour out your sadness to God
  3. Put yourself in a place where you can see God's beauty
  4. Learn to talk to your soul and point it toward God again
  5. Keep doing it
  6. Trust that God can help your soul!

For today I want to highlight one key thought:
When we are in a depressed state, we often look back to the "good old days" - days when we were happy, when the world felt right and we felt whole.

For the Psalmist that "good old" moment was a moment of praise, thanks and adoration. That got me thinking...
The times I've been happiest, healthiest, content and vibrant in my soul have been times where there has been a deep well of thanks-giving in my soul. I was focused on what I had, not what I didn't have. I had counted my blessings and not only did I know what I was thank-full for, I also knew Who I was grateful to.

I really do believe that when our lives are full of thankfulness, we are healthier, happier and more at peace. As you read our passage below, notice how gratitude is a vital part of the ideal healthy life the Psalmist remembers...

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?
3 My tears have been my food
day and night,
while men say to me all day long,
"Where is your God?"
4 These things I remember
as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go with the multitude,
leading the procession to the house of God,
with shouts of joy and thanksgiving
among the festive throng.      (Psalms42:1-4)