Thursday, August 29, 2019

EmmDev 2019-08-29 [A Life of Thanksgiving] What Paul is grateful for #3


What Paul is grateful for #3

Many of us are involved with service to the Lord (whether in our private lives, in the workplace, in the church or with others in service-based movements. This is good and right. But when we serve, there is a temptation to think that we should be thanked and appreciated.

Paul turns all of this on its head when he expresses thank-fullness for being in the ministry. In our passage for today Paul is looking at his past, present and future.

As far as Paul's past goes, he knows he can't claim a right to be in God's service. He recognises his failure, guilt and brokenness. He is thankful for God's mercy which was poured out over him. He also acknowledges that God's grace was expressed in the love and faith that God poured into him.

When he thinks about the present, Paul is very mindful that God gives him strength. Any work we do is only achievable through God's strength and guidance. I once heard a man say: "I did this by the sweat of my brow." I replied rather cheekily: "And Who gave you a brow that could sweat?" All that we do for God is an outflow of all that He has and is doing for us.

Paul is also thinking about the future, because he recognises that the faith God gave him when he first believed now expresses itself in faithfulness. In so many of his letters, Paul expresses the desire to keep serving and to finish his race. In his later letter to Timothy Paul will write: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." Paul is grateful for the chance to express his faithfulness to God.

I have a friend who took an overseas visitor to experience some work they were doing among the poor and homeless. The visitor came with a bag of apples that he handed out to the children. When they were leaving the visitor remarked that the children had not said "thank you." My friend turned around and said: "Did you thank them for allowing you to serve them?"

Paul is filled with thanksgiving for the privilege of serving God in spite of his past and for strength in the present and for future service which will allow Paul to keep being faithful.

It is a privilege and gift to be able to be God's co-workers.
Paul really understands this...

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.      (1Timothy1:12)