Friday, October 16, 2020

EmmDev 2020-10-16 [Overcomers MoM2020] PAUL: Still Standing


PAUL: Still Standing

Paul had many obstacles to overcome: Paul experienced great suffering and opposition in his ministry, he had 'a thorn in his flesh', was shipwrecked while travelling, spent time in jail and so on.

In the passage below we see some of the challenges Paul faced:
"...been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked..."(2Cor11:23b-27)

The life of Paul teaches us that we can overcome. We can overcome sin, suffering, disappointment, failure, criticism, fatigue etc. Paul reminds us that we may think we are at the end of the rope, but we are never at the end of hope.

We may be 'hard pressed', experiencing all sorts of pressure, but there is always a way out. We may be 'perplexed', but we never despair. There is always hope. We may be 'persecuted', but we are never abandoned by God. God will never leave you nor forsake you. He promised that by His Spirit to always be with us. There are times in our lives we will feel 'struck down', but we are never destroyed. If we fall, we get up again through the power of the Holy Spirit. Paul teaches us that we CAN overcome!

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.      (2Corinthians4:8-9)

Michelle Black, enthusiastic mountain biker, enjoys the outdoors, and been serving at North Durban Presbyterian Church for 17 years.