Wednesday, October 28, 2020

EmmDev 2020-10-28 [Overcomers MoM2020] THOMAS: Overcoming Doubt


THOMAS: Overcoming Doubt

We have all had that moment of doubt, that feeling of insecurity, and the moment we need a little more in our Christian walk.

Thomas wasn't prepared to believe until he had seen Jesus with his own eyes. In fact, he went as far as saying "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe." Vs 25.

Eight days later Jesus appeared to all of them behind locked doors, telling Thomas to place his fingers in the holes in Jesus hands. "Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Vs 28 Thomas overcame that doubt.

Verse 29: Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Jesus is reminding us that we need to have unconditional faith in Him, and in this faith, we will be able to overcome, Thomas overcame his doubt when meeting Jesus face to face. We are reminded to continually come face to face with the Lord in prayer and walk with Him in faith.

Thomas' example of overcoming is so important to us in 2020, a reminder to have faith in Jesus, and to overcome the world around us as Thomas did, this can only be done through God. The moment we allow ourselves unconditional faith in God, we are brought closer to Him, Jesus is waiting for us to trust in him to lay ourselves at His feet in faith.

Thomas is instantly forgiven and accepted back into the fold. This is an excellent example of how Christ forgives any of His Followers who have strayed, and at the same time encourages us to not doubt Him, but to reach out in Faith, totally trusting in His grace and love, and to have a personal relationship with Him.

As you step into this new day, step out in renewed faith and trust in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Be an overcomer, walk in faith and victory.

Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!"
But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."
28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
29 Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."      (John20:24-29)

Greg Howse minister at Alfred County Presbyterian church in Port Shepstone, husband to Anita, father of Malcolm and Angus and Grandfather to Quinnevere and Arwen.