Friday, June 25, 2021

EmmDev 2021-06-25 [God's help in Tough Times] God my Song

God my Song

People who know me, know that music is a big part of my life. From when I wake until when I go to sleep, I'm listening to music. There are thousands of gospel songs in my playlist and songs of worship and songs that wrestle with living God's life in a complex world are my favourites.

So, I'm fascinated by the idea that God can be our song...

This idea is mentioned three times in the Old Testament. First by Moses and the Israelites after they'd crossed the Red Sea. Then by an unknown Psalmist in Ps 118 who celebrates God's rescue. The third one is Isaiah who celebrates the idea that God saves even those who have failed and fallen short.

We sing when we're happy. We teach children to sing when they're afraid. We sing when our hearts are full. We sing when it is good to be together. Songs make us smile and cry. They calm us and they make us think. They touch our lives and grab our throats.

We have "fight songs", "happy songs", "comfort songs", "memory songs" and songs that "say it better than words can."

Moses, the Psalmist and Isaiah all combine "my song" with "strength" and "salvation". The Lord is my strength, my song and He has become my salvation. 

What a beautiful thought - God's love, presence, strength and deliverance can become our song. What that means for me is that no matter how beautiful a piece of music might be, the God who gave us music and the ability to create it, is even more wonderful and He gives me more fight, more comfort and more happy than a song ever could!

In these hectic and depleting times, let's learn to make God our song.
Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song;
He has become my salvation.
(Isaiah12:2 )