Friday, July 2, 2021

EmmDev 2021-07-02 [God's help in Tough Times] Find Rest

Find Rest

Psalm 62 is a composition of David which comes, either from the early part of his life when he was fleeing from Saul, or possibly from later in life in the wake of the plots of Absolom and others... 

When talking about this Psalm the NIV Study Bible says: "No psalm surpasses it in its expression of simple trust in God."

One gets an inkling of David's pain when he writes:
"How long will you assault a man?
    Would all of you throw him down--
    this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
 They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place;
    they take delight in lies.
  With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse." (Ps.62:3-4)

But in the midst of his own insecurities ("leaning wall", "tottering fence") , the threat of enemies and and the presssure of poisonous words, David chooses to put his faith in God:

Read the verses below and make them your own in these turbulent times...
(I've underlined the verbs...)

My soul finds rest in God alone;
    my salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
...
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; 
my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
    He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honour depend on God;
    He is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
    pour out your hearts to Him,
    for God is our refuge.
(Psalms62:1-8)