Tuesday, August 24, 2021

EmmDev 2021-08-24 [God's help in Tough Times] "Miktam"

"Miktam"

In its title, this psalm is called a "Miktam." While the precise meaning of this word remains unclear, it is found elsewhere as the heading of psalms where David talks about being in dire trouble. I think it is safe to assume that this psalm is a song of faith, hope, and trust in times of trial and adversity.

The Psalm is a celebration of God's past provision, protection, and guidance. Its central plea is simple: "Keep me safe, O God."

After reflecting on the fact that God will deal with the wicked and that he will have nothing to do with them (vs.3-4) David begins a process of affirming his faith and counting his blessings in every part of his life. Let's have a look:

1. The Lord has assigned a portion and cup: I think this reaches its fullest expression in Ps.23: "You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies... My cup overflows." The use of the meal analogy indicates God's provision in the little daily things.

2. The idea of boundaries and land are an indication of David's material success. It indicates provision and guidance in his commercial and vocational life. His future (inheritance) is secure thanks to God's gracious providence.

3. David has learned to sleep well at night. He has allowed God's Word to comfort and counsel him. He has filled his heart with truth so that he can answer nightmares and insomnia with the assurance of God's love and goodness.

4. He knows and understands God's pervasive and loving presence. God is before him and at his side. He does not have to be shaken.

And so David chooses faith. He chooses to have a glad heart and a praising tongue. Even though he has to plea for help and even though he is in trouble, he knows he will not be abandoned, and he can see the hope, future, and joy that God has created him for.

The psalm is a reaffirmation of faith in the midst of trouble. In it David turns his face away from his problems to gaze at God's goodness, provision, and love. David chooses to dwell on blessings rather than be sleepless. He chooses faith.

Dear Lord, it seems so hard to imagine that simply being positive can help when it feels as though everything is going wrong. Please help me to really see all the good You have poured into my life so that it will inspire me and help me to choose faith. Amen.

A miktam of David.

Keep me safe, O God,
    for in you I take refuge.

I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
    apart from you I have no good thing."
As for the saints who are in the land,
    they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those will increase
    who run after other gods.
  I will not pour out their libations of blood
    or take up their names on my lips.

LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
    you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I have set the LORD always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest secure,
because you will not abandon me to the grave,
    nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
You have made known to me the path of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence,
    with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
(Psalms16:1-11)