Tuesday, August 17, 2021

EmmDev 2021-08-17 [God's help in Tough Times] Rejoicing in God

Rejoicing in God

Today's reading is from the song Moses sang once they had come through the Red Sea. It's a glorious triumphant song and I would like to think that it had a foot-stomping "fight-song" tune that stuck in one's mind and had one humming or singing bits of it out loud.

The song is an expression of profound relief and joy.
They're free! Their enemy is vanquished!
And Moses is rejoicing in the God who gave victory.

The song is 18 verses long and deserves to be read in its entirety. 
(I've only given you a part of it...)
Moses celebrates:
- What God has done
- That God is a Warrior
- God's hand, God's arm, God's breath (nostril blast!)

I wonder if we are not sometimes too restrained in our praise and adoration?
In his about the healing of the lame man lowered through the roof, Don Fransisco says: 
"And the crowd came alive as I walked to the street
Much shouting and clapping and stamping of feet
My friends and I danced like we'd just won a war
And we laughed 'til we cried, and praised God some more."

When God answers our prayers, when we remember that our sins are defeated, when we remember that the grave's threats are empty and when we remember that we are precious and loved in spite of our brokenness should we not be writing poems about God's hands and arms and even the breath of His nostrils?

Read Moses' beautiful praise below and then turn up the praise music, or write a poem about God's goodness or just throw your head back and shout HALLELUJAH!

 "I will sing to the LORD, for He is highly exalted.
  The horse and its rider He has hurled into the sea.
 The LORD is my strength and my song;
    He has become my salvation.
  He is my God, and I will praise Him,
    my father's God, and I will exalt Him.
The LORD is a warrior; the LORD is His name.
Pharaoh's chariots and his army He has hurled into the sea.
  The best of Pharaoh's officers are drowned in the Red Sea.
The deep waters have covered them;
    they sank to the depths like a stone.

Your right hand, O LORD, was majestic in power.
  Your right hand, O LORD, shattered the enemy.
In the greatness of your majesty
    you threw down those who opposed you.
  You unleashed your burning anger;
    it consumed them like stubble.
By the blast of your nostrils the waters piled up.
  The surging waters stood firm like a wall;
    the deep waters congealed in the heart of the sea.

The enemy boasted,
    'I will pursue, I will overtake them.
  I will divide the spoils; I will gorge myself on them.
  I will draw my sword and my hand will destroy them.'
But you blew with your breath, and the sea covered them.
  They sank like lead in the mighty waters."
(Exodus15:1-10)