Thursday, April 14, 2022

EmmDev 2022-04-14 [Journey to the Cross] Forsaken

Forsaken

My colleague, Andries Combrink, describes Crucifixion as "the most horrible symphony of pain ever designed by man."

Jesus refused to drink the narcotics offered to Him as they crucified Him. He managed, in spite of the excruciating pain, to remain clear and focused throughout the nine hours He was on the cross. During that time He spoke forgiveness over those who crucified and mocked Him, He made arrangements for John to look after His mother, and He assured the repentant criminal that his place in heaven was sure.

There are two opinions about Jesus outcry on the cross. Both, I think, are helpful.

The first is that Jesus knew that the punishment for sin would involve being completely and utterly separated from the Father's presence and love (which the most accurate description of hell) but the reality of that experience was so intense that this gasp of agony and forsakenness is wrenched from Him. It is not that He was caught by surprise at the Father's withdrawal, it is that it was just so bad.

The second opinion is that Jesus is quoting Psalm 22 which is the theme-song of suffering in the Old Testament and the most accurate foreshadowing of the crucifixion we have. Any Israelite who had experienced suffering was familiar with Psalm 22. As Jesus suffers God-forsakenness on the cross, He is saying to all who have experienced suffering "I've been there!"

So here's my Easter Picture: Jesus, marred, scarred and stained with the evidence of His suffering - gaunt and pale with pain - cries out in agony. He is literally going through hell for you and me. The pain is beyond anything you and I can imagine and it means that we will never suffer alone. It's a frightening, disturbing, horrendous picture but because of it I have peace.

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"--which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew27:46)

PS: Break in EmmDevs...

I will be taking a break with eDevs from now to 2 May.
Praying you have a blessed Easter.
God bless and Love,
Theo