Thursday, September 24, 2026

Contentment #2 - Exemplified

Our reading is from Psalm 16 - It's called a "Miktam"
- We don't know what that means
- But every psalm that is called a Miktam is a prayer in time of trouble
(A miktam of David.)
Keep me safe, my God, for in You I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord;
apart from You I have no good thing."

I say of the holy people who are in the land,
"They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight."
Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
or take up their names on my lips.

Lord, You alone are my portion and my cup;
You make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
because You will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
nor will you let Your holy one see decay.
You make known to me the path of life;
You will fill me with joy in Your presence,
with eternal pleasures at Your right hand. (Psalms16:1-11)

So, this is probably a prayer in trouble.
But David reflects gratitude and loyalty.

In its simple structure, this Psalm exemplifies contentment...
David is urging us to:
  1. REMEMBER that God is enough
    "apart from You I have no good thing."
    "Lord, You alone are my portion and my cup;"
    "You will fill me with joy in Your presence,"

  2. TAKE NOTE that God has given us much
    "You make my lot secure."
    "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places"
    "surely I have a delightful inheritance."

  3. BE COMFORTED because God is with us and counsels us.
    "I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
    I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken."

  4. BE SECURE in knowing that God holds our future.
    "because You will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    nor will you let Your holy one see decay.
    You make known to me the path of life"
David can end the Psalm with:
"You will fill me with joy in Your presence,
with eternal pleasures at Your right hand."

Contentment is learning to recognise what we already have...
David is in trouble, but he can still say, "You are my portion."
He looks at his life and sees that his boundary lines have fallen in pleasant places.
He looks beside him and sees God's presence.
He looks ahead and sees God's eternal promise.

May we Remember, Take Note, be Comforted and Secure in the knowledge and experience of God as the One who is enough, who provides abundantly, who goes with and guides us and secures our eternity.

This is contentment: It is not an achievement or attainment - it is a Relationship.