M.O.M. Good Habit 4: Good Leadership
This week we are looking at the habits of Growing Congregations.Here's the fourth one...
| To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ's sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, watching over them - not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. (1Peter5:1-4) |
WHAT DEFINES GOOD LEADERSHIP IN THE CHURCH?
Perhaps you are familiar with the idea of "shepherding God's flock."
Maybe you have read Ezekiel 34 and trembled at the charges God brings against Israel's leaders. In this passage, God promises to take over the task of shepherding his people. What a relief that must have been to the exploited, neglected, scattered, lost, forgotten, abused, broken and bullied people of God!
Jesus calls himself the Good Shepherd who is willing to lay down his life for the sheep. (Jn10). Jesus calls all Church leaders to be Good Shepherds who follow his example.
The primary responsibility of any Church leader is to be a good disciple. SUFFERING and GLORY are mysteriously intertwined in the person of Jesus and in the lives of those who follow Him.
A good leader bears witness to the suffering of Jesus. They may be familiar with suffering themselves. They must be ready to suffer with God's people. At the same time, a good leader must look forward in hope and rejoice in God's glory being revealed.
Peter warns all Church leaders of 3 dangers we face, and highlights 3 qualities we need if we are to be Good Shepherds who care for God's flock.
We serve:
- NOT because we must BUT because we are willing.
I have at times found myself serving God in the Church out of a sense of duty. I believe that God honours our faithfulness. But when I serve unwillingly, when the demand is high and the joy is missing, I am reminded that "God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Cor 9:7
I am also challenged by the words in 1 Corinthians13 that proclaim that anything done without love is worthless in God's economy. - NOT pursuing dishonest gain BUT eager to serve.
How easy it is to fall into the trap of serving God for what we gain! Material reward, or greater recognition, or growing influence are all temptations to avoid. Dishonest gain is the norm in society. It has no place in the Church. - NOT Lording it over those in our care BUT being examples to the flock.
Jesus criticised the Pharisees for their hypocrisy, calling them white-washed tombs.
I wonder how Jesus would evaluate my discipleship and my leadership? What would Jesus call me? What would Jesus call us as leaders in the UPCSA today?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shona van der Lingen, serving at St Columba's Kokstad in the Presbytery of East Griqualand. I have 2 dogs who could do with more training -- although they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks! Admirer of shepherds and working dogs who are better with sheep than I will ever be!