Wednesday, October 17, 2012

EMMDEV 2012-10-17 [Proverbs revisited] Making amends

Fools mock at making amends for sin
but goodwill is found among the upright. Proverbs14:9

To err is human. We all make mistakes. We all fall short from time to time. How we handle our shortcomings is an indication of our character.

If I wrong someone and I know I've done it and I make no attempt to make amends I am saying the following:
1. What I did wasn't really that serious

2. I don't consider the feelings or dignity of the person I have hurt at all

3. I am not concerned about the long term impact of this behaviour on my character

4. I will eventually be surrounded by animosity because of the un-amended hurts I have caused

Proverbs considers this behaviour and these attitudes foolish (and remember that the word used for fool also implies moral deficiency)

The upright are people who make amends - they apologise and make right when they hurt others. The benefits are goodwill, respect, and healing.

It takes a lot of courage to say "I was wrong. I acted thoughtlessly. I am sorry." But it is vital.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/